Today we are in conversation with Harvey Sachs, author of Toscanini: Musician of Conscience, a new biography of the renowned conductor whose genius flowed over into both his professional career and personal life, through his meaningful musical interpretations and inspiring political conscience. Throughout his sixty-eight-year career, Toscanini not only transformed orchestral performance, but notably reacted strongly to the political situation of his era. Toscanini’s defiance of Mussolini’s artistic directives and his creative response to the Fascist ascent of the 1930s resonates with today’s artistic resistance to forces of oppression.
Letters & Politics and KPFA are offering the following items as thank-yous for donations:
- Book: Toscanini: Musician of Conscience by Harvey Sachs for a donation of $180
- CD: “Toscanini: The April 4, 1954 Final Concert” by Arturo Toscanini for donation of $75
- Letters & Politics 500 Year History Pack” for a donation of $100
- Letters & Politics: Mondo Pack (Includes all L&P Packs) for a donation of $180
- Combo: Toscanini Book + CD for a donation of $240