Welcome to the KPFA Local Station Board Home Page
The Local Station Board (LSB) is the community governing board for KPFA. Established by the Pacifica network bylaws, local station boards exist at each of the five network sister stations.
About the Local Station Board
KPFA, was the first listener-sponsored, community radio station in the United States. It has endured fierce struggles to preserve autonomy and its mission of peace and social justice. The LSB has specific powers and duties enumerated in the Pacifica bylaws. These include formulating the annual station budget; interviewing and screening candidates for station management positions; communicating with listeners; providing a forum through which listeners can engage with the station; ensuring that the station is responsive to the communities served; and in general striving to meet the ideals of social justice and democracy envisioned by the founders of Pacifica.
Local station boards are composed of 18 members elected from the general listenership, plus 6 members elected from the paid and unpaid staff of the station. The board also includes a representative from KFCF as a voting member, and the station general manager as an ex-officio member. LSB terms of office are 3 years and are staggered: half the members are elected one year, the other half the next year, and elections are not held in the third year. Listeners must be KPFA members in order to vote in station board elections. Becoming a member is easy: all it takes is a minimum contribution of $25 per year. We encourage all listeners to join and have a voice in their station.
The local station board elects 4 representatives (3 listener members plus one staff member) to the Pacifica National Board every year. The Pacifica National Board sets policies for the network as a whole. Members of the LSB serve on standing committees of the local board, such as the Personnel Committee or Outreach Committee. In addition, members also volunteer or are appointed to standing committees of the Pacifica National Board, such as the Governance Committee or Finance Committee.
Local station board members are called “delegates,” while those elected to the national board are called “directors.” A complete description of the Pacifica governance system is detailed in the Pacifica bylaws.
Sharon Adams, Treasurer
Christina Huggins, Vice-Chair
Ramses Teon Nichols
Carol Wolfley, Secretary
2018 Local Station Board meeting dates:
January 6 and January 27
no meeting July
August 18, (including a Town Hall meeting)
November No meeting
The Local Station Board welcomes community input. LSB meetings include a Public Comments period for listeners and others to communicate with the board. The LSB may also be reached by emailing [email protected] Meetings are disabled-accessible.
- On the KPFA website, notices of upcoming meetings are posted here.
- Notices and links to draft agendas are also posted at least one week in advance on the Pacifica meeting calendar at kpftx.org
- Archives of minutes and other meetings records may be found here and on the kpftx.org website.
- Audio files of meetings are available after the meeting at kpftx.org
PNB COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUP & TASKFORCES
Unless otherwise stated, composition per station on the PNB Committees is up to 2 directors (elected by PNB) and 2 station Delegates (elected by LSBs). LSB members may join the PNB Working Group. Affiliate directors may join any taskforce and any group except Committees of Inclusion, Coordinating and Finance.
· oversees annual audit: reviews and recommends potential auditors. Excludes Finance Committee members.
COMMITTEE OF INCLUSION (1 director & 3 delegates – elected by their LSB)
· monitors the under-representation of communities in station programming and staffing and the diversity of election candidates.
· helps with the planning for Local Station Board/Delegate elections including making recommendations for cost-cutting etc.
FINANCE – (1 director per station, each LSB treasurer, CFO)
· regularly reviews the Foundation’s bylaws and policies for governance of Board activities
PERSONNEL – (up to 2 directors per station, up to 2 affil.)
PNB WORKING GROUP
No numerical formula. Directors volunteer through the PNB; delegates, listeners, and staff volunteer through the LSB.
STRATEGIC PLANNING WORKING GROUP
· formed on July 9, 2015 by the PNB
· composed of Directors and (i)ED to review proposals and strategic plans for the Foundation and submit them to the full board for approval
· advises on building Archives’ infrastructure and reach
· recommends plans to increase network profile, listenership and income
· assists in implementation of Spanish-language programming motion
· advises on foundation infrastructure and information technology