Welcome to the KPFA Local Station Board Home Page
The Local Station Board (LSB) is the governing board for KPFA. Established by the Pacifica network bylaws, local station boards exist at each of the five network sister stations.
About the Local Station Board
KPFA, was the first listener-sponsored, community radio station in the United States. It has endured fierce struggles to preserve autonomy and its mission of peace and social justice. The LSB has specific powers and duties enumerated in the Pacifica bylaws. These include formulating the annual station budget; interviewing and screening candidates for station management positions; communicating with listeners; providing a forum through which listeners can engage with the station; ensuring that the station is responsive to the communities served; and in general striving to meet the ideals of social justice and democracy envisioned by the founders of Pacifica.
Local station boards are composed of 18 members elected from the general listenership, plus 6 members elected from the paid and unpaid staff of the station. The board also includes the station general manager as an ex-officio member. LSB terms of office are 3 years and are staggered: half the members are elected one year, the other half the next year, and elections are not held in the third year. Listeners must be KPFA members in order to vote in station board elections. Becoming a member is easy: all it takes is a minimum contribution of $25 per year. We encourage all listeners to join and have a voice in their station.
The local station board elects 4 representatives (three listener members plus one staff member) to the Pacifica National Board every year. The Pacifica National Board sets policies for the network as a whole. Members of the LSB may help support the station through fund raising and outreach. In addition, members also volunteer or are appointed to standing committees of the Pacifica National Board listed below.
Local station board members are called “delegates,” while those elected to the national board are called “directors.” A complete description of the Pacifica governance system is detailed in the Pacifica bylaws.
Sharon Adams, Treasurer
Chris Cory, PNB Director
Susan da Silva, Vice-Chair
Don Goldmacher, PNB Director
Christina Huggins, Chair
Tom Voorhees, PNB Director
Carol Wolfley, Secretary
Sabrina Jacobs, PNB Director
2019 Local Station Board meeting dates:
The Local Station Board welcomes community input. LSB meetings include a Public Comments period for listeners and others to communicate with the board. The LSB may also be reached by emailing [email protected] Meetings are disabled-accessible.
- On the KPFA website, notices of upcoming meetings are posted here.
- Notices of meetings are also posted at least one week in advance on the Pacifica meeting calendar at kpftx.org
- Archives of minutes and other meetings records may be found here and on the kpftx.org website.
- Audio files of meetings are available after the meeting at kpftx.org
PNB COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUP & TASKFORCES
Unless otherwise stated, composition per station on the PNB Committees is up to 2 directors (elected by PNB) and 2 station Delegates (elected by LSBs). LSB members may join the PNB Working Group. Affiliate directors may join any taskforce and any group except Committees of Inclusion, Coordinating and Finance.
- oversees annual audit: reviews and recommends potential auditors. Excludes Finance Committee members.
COMMITTEE OF INCLUSION (1 director & 3 delegates – elected by their LSB)
- monitors the under-representation of communities in station programming and staffing and the diversity of election candidates.
COORDINATING – (up to 2 directors per station, board officers, natl. mgmt.)
- coordinates PNB activities between meetings, especially in-person meetings
- helps with the planning for Local Station Board/Delegate elections including making recommendations for cost-cutting etc.
FINANCE – (1 director per station, each LSB treasurer, CFO)
- reviews and recommends the annual budget to PNB; monitors and reports Foundation financial activities at least quarterly
- regularly reviews the Foundation’s bylaws and policies for governance of Board activities
PERSONNEL – (up to 2 directors per station, up to 2 affil.)
- prepares evaluation of the Executive Director (ED) and Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- insures that programming at Foundation stations meets and fulfills the Foundation’s purposes:
PNB WORKING GROUP
No numerical formula. Directors volunteer through the PNB; delegates, listeners, and staff volunteer through the LSB.
STRATEGIC PLANNING WORKING GROUP
- Formed on July 9, 2015 by the PNB
- Composed of Directors and (i)ED to review proposals and strategic plans for the Foundation and submit them to the full board for approval
- devises ways to expand and strengthen relationships with affiliate stations
- advises on building Archives’ infrastructure and reach
- recommends plans to increase network profile, listenership and income
- assists in implementation of Spanish-language programming motion
- advises on foundation infrastructure and information technology