Today, we break into our regular Winter Fund Drive program to bring you a full two hours on the Oakland teachers strike.
0:08 – Live report: KPFA’s Nick Alexandra with a live report from the picket line at Manzanita Community School in East Oakland. Then, we hear from:
- Keith Brown is President of the Oakland teachers’ union, the Oakland Education Association.
- Tony Douangviseth (“Tony D”) is the Executive Director of Youth Together, a nonprofit that runs services and youth centers on some campuses.
- Clarissa Doutherd Executive Director of Parent Voices Oakland, an East Bay chapter of Parent Voices California.
- Katherine Carter is the principal of Oakland SOL Middle School.
1:08 – Roseann Torres represents District 5 on the Oakland Unified School Board. Right now, she’s bringing coffee and breakfast to teachers on the picket line.
- John Sasaki is Communications Director with the Oakland Unified School District
1:30 – Live report: KPFA’s Lucy Kang reports live at Skyline High School in Oakland, where she’s following student activists who are out supporting teachers. Then, we speak with Jocasha Hill, a Skyline student who says she supports the strike.
- Dr Kimberly Mayfield is the Dean of the School of Education at Holy Names University.