Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- Taliban takes control of Afghanistan’s last hold out Panjshir province, now controls all of country.
- Evacuation orders lifted form some 22,000 South Lake Tahoe residents, but Calfire warns Caldor fire likely to grow due to dry terrain.
- Extended unemployment ends for an estimated 9 million people who were receiving the $300 additional pandemic relief payments.
- President Joe Biden declares disaster for New York and New Jersey counties; officials call for infrastructure funding that addresses climate change.
- New Orleans Mayor vows to hold independent senior living facilities accountable for abandoning elderly during Hurricane Ida.
- California Governor Gavin Newsom rallies supporters against recall effort to unseat him with Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren.
- Department of Justice vows to protect women’s access to abortion and abortion service providers.
photo: Bailey Heedick via Unsplash