Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- Caldor fire grows, nears Lake Tahoe, forces evacuations of Nevada residents and threatens more than 33,000 homes.
- President Joe Biden calls end of Afghan war “end of an era,” blasts endless wars, as Republicans call for his resignation and impeachment.
- Hurricane Ida leaves hundreds of thousands in Louisiana without electricity, water, or gasoline.
- California Governor Gavin Newsom says 80% of eligible Californians have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine.
- Texas state Republicans pass legislation to limit voting access, SB1, after months of protests from Democrats.
- East Bay Parks workers postpone strike vote, after reaching a tentative contract with the Park District.
- Santa Clara County Supervisors unanimously pass resolution of no confidence in Sheriff Laurie Smith, after corruption allegations and inmate deaths.
- Environmentalists rally in Sacramento calling for state’s environmental regulators to clean up toxic dump sites and pollution.
Photo collage of Caldor Fire by Calfire.