- Iowa voters are meeting in some 2000 caucuses this evening to support a Democratic presidential candidate
- U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan says he’ll study a U.S. request to send a team to Iraq to examine the feasibility of the U.S. plan to transfer power to Iraq – a crowd estimated at up to 100 thousand Iraqis march in Baghdad against the U.S. plan
- Thousands of people commemorate the birthday of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. – many use the occasion to recall King’s opposition to the Vietnam war and urge the Bush Administration to stop the occupation of Iraq
- Striking and locked out Southern California grocery workers march in the annual King Day Parade in Los Angeles – it’s day 100 of their dispute with 3 major supermarket chains
- Congress prepares to return to work with a budget to wrap up – Senate Democrats are angry over President Bush’s recess appointment to the Federal Appeals Court of Judge Pickering
- Zimbabwe’s main opposition leader takes the stand in his treason trial – Morgan Tsvangirai is charged with plotting to kill President Mugabe
Attention: • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • Thanks to Brad Monnette of Redwood City, Joyce Speakman of Oakland, SIGI MITCHELL of Berkeley, Mercy Sequeira of Sunnyvale and Sandy Weil of San Francisco for your donations. • Thanks to SALLY SACHS of Berkeley, Cathleen Plutchok of Palo Alto, Phyllis Luckman of Oakland, DANNY GLOVER of Berkeley and Barbara Sampson of Concord for supporting us. • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • A big thank you to Larry Beauchemin of Fairfield, William Roller of Berkeley, Sarah Bridge of San Francisco, Ixtanyolha Esquivel of San Leandro and Robert Baldock of Berkeley for your support. • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • A big thank you to Lynda Ferguson of Walnut Creek, Susan Park of Oakland, Darothy Asbe of San Rafael, Christopher Regalo of Oakland and David Herr of Forestville for keeping KPFA Rising! • Shout out to Steve Aocino of Fairfax, Jeremy Cox of Oakland, DONNA MICKLESON of Berkeley, janet mccoll of Albany and Laura Ingram of Oakland. • Shout Out to ED TREUTING of Emeryville, Ron Duben of San Rafael, Robert H OSullivan of Oakland, Karen Stern of Berkeley and Luz Martinez Richmond for supporting listener sponsored radio.