LSB June 2016 meeting records

KPFA LSB regular in-person meeting
June 11, 2016 11am-4pm
North Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Ave., Berkeley, CA
Item #Time*ItemEst start time
1Call to Order11:00 AM
25Roll Call and Excusing of Absent Members11:00 AM
320Remote participation – today’s meeting11:50 AM
45Approve Agenda11:05 AM
55Approve Minutes11:10 AM
65Announcements11:15 AM
820General manager’s report12:10 PM
910CAB report12:30 PM
1010Report on May 22 retreat12:40 PM
1140Treasurer’s Report12:50 PM
1210Break1:30 PM
15A.   PNB report1:40 PM
15B.   PNB audit committee (M. Wilkinson)1:55 PM
14Old Business
20    A.  Remote participation in LSB meetings – general policy2:10 PM
20    B.  Directors’ access to employee records – LSB chair’s report2:30 PM
10    C.  Motion regarding WBAI non-representation on PNB (A. Fest)2:50 PM
16Adjourn3:00 PM
*Times are advisory.



KPFA Local Station Board
Regular in-person meeting
June 11, 2016
, 11am-4:00pm
Berkeley Senior Center
1901 Hearst Ave., Berkeley CA

Note: An audio archive of this meeting is available at

Present: Sharon Adams, Craig Alderson, William Campisi, Brian Edwards-Tiekert, Anthony Fest, José Luis Fuentes**, Sasha Futran*, Kate Gowen**, Mark Hernandez**, Sabrina Jacobs**, Janet Kobren, Tim Lynch*, Joy Moore, TM Scruggs, Frank Sterling, Ramsés Teón-Nichols*, Leland Thompson, Carole Travis, Barbara Whipperman, Margy Wilkinson, Rych Withers**, Quincy McCoy (ex officio).
*Arrived after roll call.
**Participated by remote connection

Absent: David Lynch, Samsarah Morgan, Scott Olsen, Burton White.

1.   Call to order
Meeting called to order at 11:20 am by chair C. Travis.

2.   Roll call and excusing of members
Moved (B. Edwards-Tiekert) to excuse all absent members. Approved unanimously by voice vote.

3.   Approve agenda
Moved (M. Wilkinson) to adopt agenda as drafted.

Moved (A. Fest) to allot 30 minutes for item 10, report on May 22 retreat Approved unanimously by voice vote.

On agenda as amended, approved unanimously by voice vote.

4.   Remote participation – today’s meeting
Moved (B. Edwards-Tiekert) to continue remote participation policy in effect at last meeting and to suspend rules to take up item 14.A (general policy on remote participation) immediately after break. Approved unanimously by voice vote. [Policy in effect at last meeting allowed remote participants to speak but not to vote.]

5.   Minutes
Moved (B. Whipperman) to approve minutes of April 9, 2016, as drafted. Approved unanimously by voice vote.

6.   Announcements
B. Edwards-Tiekert, M. Wilkinson, J.L. Fuentes.

7.   Public comments
Carol Wolfley, Michael Sukhov, Richard Stone.

8.   GM report (Q. McCoy)
See attached.

9.   CAB report (Carol Wolfley)
CAB will be holding a community meeting about Pacifica July 16, 2-4pm, Sports Basement community room.

Moved (B. Edwards-Tiekert) to appoint Robin House-Collins, Carol Wolfley, and Michael Sukhov to CAB. Approved unanimously by voice vote.

10.   Report on May 22 retreat (S. Jacobs, S. Adams, M. Wilkinson)
Treasurer distributed two reports. TR1 is budget-to-actual for five months ending 2/29/16. TR2 tracks pledges and fulfillment rates of recent fund drives.

B. Campisi volunteered to be contact person for members who are interested in organizing a network-wide retreat. S. Adams will be point person for those willing to volunteer before July meeting to look at other issues: finance, governance, AG, Pacifica Archives, etc. M. Wilkinson volunteered to work with S. Adams.

11.   Treasurer report (B. Whipperman)
The treasurer distributed reports regarding the budget and fund drive performance.

12.   Remote participation policy
S. Adams presented draft policy regarding remote participation by board members in LSB meetings.

Moved (B. Edwards-Tiekert) to adopt. Several amendments were made correct language or refine and clarify the policy. Substantial amendments included giving the board discretion to allow remote participation in certain cases; not allowing remote participation in elections using paper ballots; requiring certification for executive sessions; and establishing a duration for the policy.

On policy as amended: approved by show of hands, 1N.

13.   PNB

PNB report
J. Kobren reported on April 21 and June 2 PNB meetings. National elections supervisor was hired mid-May.

B. Edwards-Tiekert reported on difficulties meeting payroll at other stations.

J.L. Fuentes described the PNB as highly factionalized and immobile.

PNB Audit Committee (M. Wilkinson)
M. Wilkinson said she would send audit committee report by email to board members.

Adjourned 3:587 pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Craig Alderson

Share This