Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- A deluge of Israeli airstrikes today on a refugee camp near Gaza City has demolished apartment buildings, leaving craters where they once stood; at the same time, Israeli ground troops battled Hamas militants across northern Gaza.
- Jacob Lew confirmed as US Ambassador to Israel.
- The UN Human Rights Commission released a new report on the October 5 strike in the Ukrainian village of Hroza, urging Russia to acknowledge responsibility for the missile strike that killed over 50 civilians earlier this month.
- Documents released by a Maine sheriff’s office gave a newly detailed timeline of the warning signs and failed efforts to stop the gunman who killed 18 people and wounded 13 others at a bowling alley and bar last week.
- Fire officials are battling a wildfire in Southern California fueled by gusty Santa Ana winds that’s ripping through rural land southeast of Los Angeles.
- Federal and state fishery agencies are scrambling to save some of the last populations of Central Valley spring-run Chinook Salmon. In an urgent effort to help save their unique genetic heritage, juvenile salmon are being captured and transported to their new homes in a hatchery complex at U.C. Davis. The emergency action was triggered by extremely low numbers of salmon that returned to their creeks of origin to spawn this year.
Members of the Jamul Fire Dept., out of San Diego County, look for hot spots while fighting the Highland Fire Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023, in Aguanga, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)