Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- Israel steps up air and ground attacks in Gaza and cuts off the territory’s communications in advance of an expected ground assault.
- The UN General Assembly today approved a nonbinding resolution which calls for a “humanitarian truce” in Gaza.
- Maine officials lift shelter-in-place order as search for mass shooting suspect continues.
- Donald Trump is set to testify Nov. 6 in civil fraud trial; Daughter Ivanka also will testify.
- The family members of six Palestinian-Americans trapped in Gaza put out a plea today, asking for the US government to help their loved ones out of the war zone.
- Residents of affordable housing communities in San Jose caravanned from the Bay Area to Orange County today, to protest rent increases in front of the house of the CEO of the company that owns the properties.
Smoke rises from explosions caused by Israeli airstrikes in the northern Gaza Strip, Friday, Oct. 27, 2023. (AP Photo/Abed Khaled)