Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration says Israel will allow a four-hour humanitarian pause each day in its combat operations in northern Gaza to allow civilians to flee to the south.
- Global day of action held calling for ceasefire in Gaza, with protests in New York, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, and more.
- Democratic Representative Cori Bush of Missouri joined a group of veterans in front of the nation’s capital today, calling for a ceasefire in Gaza.
- Former Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein announces her entry into the 2024 presidential race.
- Democratic senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia has announced that he won’t seek reelection.
- Climate activists from the Bay Climate Action coalition gathered at Yerba Buena Gardens to hold a rally outside of Indo-Pacific Economic Framework negotiations ahead of next week’s Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.
- California State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond held a Homeless Education Summit with lawmakers and educators to discuss the educational impacts caused by student homelessness amid the ongoing housing crisis in the state.
A man sits on the rubble as others wander among debris of buildings that were targeted by Israeli airstrikes in Jabaliya refugee camp, northern Gaza Strip, Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023. A new U.N. report paints a stark picture of the devastating collapsing Palestinian economy after a month of war and Israel’s near total siege of Gaza. (AP Photo/Abed Khaled, File)