Comprehensive coverage of the day’s news with a focus on war and peace; social, environmental and economic justice.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says an already warming Earth reached its hottest June on record.
- First over-the-counter birth control pill gets FDA approval.
- US climate envoy John Kerry sparred with House Republicans in heated exchanges ahead of his scheduled Beijing trip.
- President Joe Biden visited Finland on Thursday for a meeting of the U.S. Nordic Leaders’ Summit and a celebration of NATO unity. Following the upbeat two-day NATO Summit in Lithuania, Biden criticized the Russian invasion of NATO, praised NATO’s strength and shared values, and reaffirmed America’s commitment to NATO, despite what Biden referred to as “extreme elements” in Congress.
- Actors will join screenwriters in a combined strike following collapsed contract talks with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, who represent the studios.
- California State Senate unanimously passes state constitution amendment that would repeal Prop 8.
- A California bill that would raise taxes on firearms and ammunition to fund school safety programs passed a key vote Wednesday.
- Environmental justice advocates and California residents rallied today in El Cerrito before a monthly Environmental Safety meeting to urge the state to address the pressing issues of pollution, contamination and environmental injustice.