- President Bush signs an omnibus spending bill into law, legislation attacked by critics as a give-away to special interests and full of pork – it also contains controversial measures increasing media ownership concentration, ending overtime protections, and gutting a gun control law
- More charges of election irregularities in San Francisco – the same non-profit accused of coercing workers to vote and campaign for Mayor Gavin Newsom is said to have done the same for his predecessor Willie Brown
- Computer security experts warn that a new internet absentee voting system is vulnerable to hackers and terrorists and should be scrapped
- The Halliburton scandal grows – the company fires 2 employees for elledgedly taking millions of dollars in kickbacks from a Kuwaiti subcontractor supplying oil to U.S. troops in Iraq
- The interior department with the go-ahead to open nearly 9 million acres of Alaska’s North Slope to oil and gas development
- State water regulators extend controversial waivers that let farms pollute waterways, but their decision will also require growers to monitor water quality
Attention: • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • Thanks to Brad Monnette of Redwood City, Joyce Speakman of Oakland, SIGI MITCHELL of Berkeley, Mercy Sequeira of Sunnyvale and Sandy Weil of San Francisco for your donations. • Thanks to SALLY SACHS of Berkeley, Cathleen Plutchok of Palo Alto, Phyllis Luckman of Oakland, DANNY GLOVER of Berkeley and Barbara Sampson of Concord for supporting us. • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • A big thank you to Larry Beauchemin of Fairfield, William Roller of Berkeley, Sarah Bridge of San Francisco, Ixtanyolha Esquivel of San Leandro and Robert Baldock of Berkeley for your support. • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • A big thank you to Lynda Ferguson of Walnut Creek, Susan Park of Oakland, Darothy Asbe of San Rafael, Christopher Regalo of Oakland and David Herr of Forestville for keeping KPFA Rising! • Shout out to Steve Aocino of Fairfax, Jeremy Cox of Oakland, DONNA MICKLESON of Berkeley, janet mccoll of Albany and Laura Ingram of Oakland. • Shout Out to ED TREUTING of Emeryville, Ron Duben of San Rafael, Robert H OSullivan of Oakland, Karen Stern of Berkeley and Luz Martinez Richmond for supporting listener sponsored radio.