- Governor Schwarzenegger declares the State is in a fiscal crisis and invokes emergency powers to impose $150 million in spending cuts without the Legislature’s approval. The funds will go to cities and counties to make up for the money lost when Schwarzenegger rolled back the vehicle license fee
- The Bush administration’s judicial conduct is repudiated by federal appeals courts on both coasts in twin rulings that assail the military’s contention that it can hold "enemy combatants" without access to lawyers or the courts
- By a 3-2 vote, the California Public Utilities Commission approves a modified bailout plan for Pacific Gas and Electric to emerge from bankruptcy
- A second Wall Street rating agency cut California’s bond rating to near junk-bond status
- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon warns Palestinians that he’ll impose a unilateral plan separating Israel from Palestinian territory if there’s no speedy implementation of the U.S. Road Map plan
- The head of the U.S. team which has been fruitlessly searching for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq is considering leaving his job within weeks
Attention: • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • Thanks to Brad Monnette of Redwood City, Joyce Speakman of Oakland, SIGI MITCHELL of Berkeley, Mercy Sequeira of Sunnyvale and Sandy Weil of San Francisco for your donations. • Thanks to SALLY SACHS of Berkeley, Cathleen Plutchok of Palo Alto, Phyllis Luckman of Oakland, DANNY GLOVER of Berkeley and Barbara Sampson of Concord for supporting us. • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • A big thank you to Larry Beauchemin of Fairfield, William Roller of Berkeley, Sarah Bridge of San Francisco, Ixtanyolha Esquivel of San Leandro and Robert Baldock of Berkeley for your support. • Click here to Donate to KPFA now! • A big thank you to Lynda Ferguson of Walnut Creek, Susan Park of Oakland, Darothy Asbe of San Rafael, Christopher Regalo of Oakland and David Herr of Forestville for keeping KPFA Rising! • Shout out to Steve Aocino of Fairfax, Jeremy Cox of Oakland, DONNA MICKLESON of Berkeley, janet mccoll of Albany and Laura Ingram of Oakland. • Shout Out to ED TREUTING of Emeryville, Ron Duben of San Rafael, Robert H OSullivan of Oakland, Karen Stern of Berkeley and Luz Martinez Richmond for supporting listener sponsored radio.