Due to the pandemic, the Operations Department Internship Program is on hold until further notice. Please check this page in April or October of 2021 for updates. Once we are able to start, we will post application submission dates here.
Email cover letter and resume to [email protected] by (Date TBD) for the January-June session, or by June (Date TBD) for the July-December session.
Operations Department Intern Description
KPFA 94.1 FM, Berkeley, CA 94704
KPFA 94.1 FM is looking for an experienced, self-motivated Operations Department Intern/s and offers a 6-month training program intended to give individuals valuable “hands on” experience and exposure to radio production. Applicants must be interested in long-term exposure to multiple aspects of Media Production at KPFA Radio. Applicants are willing to work hard, have great organization and time management skills, are attentive to detail and have the ability to multi-task in a moving and deadline driven environment. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals who want to learn from working professionals in a 70-year old radio institution.
As an intern, the primary responsibility is to assist Operations Department staff with daily station tasks. Daily tasks include: line producing for live shows, engineering studio recordings, editing and mixing taped programs, producing station promos, monitoring program content to comply with station and FCC policies and other duties as assigned.
Interns are required to work 1 day shift per week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday 10am-4pm). Fridays from 10am-4pm will be dedicated to radio production classes that work toward producing content on 98.3 KPFB-FM in Berkeley, and on Area 941 podcasts.
Toward the end of the program, interns will be tested for certification to be potential fill-in technical producers at KPFA.
- Assist Technical Producers with peripheral equipment for live programs.
- Assist Producers with specialized equipment setup for live programs.
- Assist with regulating the timing of programs for live and taped shows.
- Receive and screen incoming calls during broadcast.
- Notify Chief Operator about any abnormalities noticed during scheduled shift.
- Engineer studio recordings, support staff for content prep and production.
- Edit/mix audio content for playback and prepare evergreen shows.
- File CDs, and maintain the studio area in neat and professional manner.
- Accurately log discrepancies and troubleshoot technical problems.
- Other duties as required by management.
- Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management, and clients
- Represent Pacifica Foundation and 94.1 KPFA-FM in the highest regard within the community and business environment
- Develop and maintain effective communications with internal and external partners
- Work in compliance with station policies and procedures
Skills & Abilities Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in document editing applications such as Office and LibreOffice
- Attentive to detail plus great organization and time management skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong time management in order to meet multiple daily deadlines
- Self-motivated, positive, and highly organized individual
- Previous experience with data entry and any audio editing software a plus
- High School Diploma
Job Type: Internship
Organizational Skills: 1 year
Records Management: 1 year
Administrative Support: 1 year
Education: High school
Location: Berkeley, CA
Required work authorization: United States
KPFA is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.