March 2011 LSB Meeting Records

KPFA 2011 Local Station Board
Regular in-person meeting,
March 19, 2011, 11am-4pm
Public Library, Rockridge Branch, 5366 College Ave.

Note: An audio archive of this meeting is available at


Shahram Aghamir, Mal Burnstein, Pamela Drake, Anthony Fest, Sasha Futran, Suzi Goldmacher, Conn Hallinan, Matthew Hallinan, Cynthia Johnson, Hyun-Mi Kim, Jack Kurzweil, Henry Norr, Andrea Prichett, Laura Prives, Tracy Rosenberg, Tanya Russell, Lewis Sawyer, Dan Siegel, Akio Tanaka, Andrea Turner, Margy Wilkinson, Rych Withers; Barbara Whipperman (treasurer), Craig Alderson (secretary)

1.         Call to order
Meeting called to order by chair M. Wilkinson at 11:08 am.

2.         Roll call and excusing of absent members
Motion to excuse S. Futran, D. Gans, R. Geesler, and R. Phelps approved unanimously. S. Futran arrived after roll call.

3.         Public comments (in order of speakers)
Kate Gowen, Nancy Delaney, Virginia Browning, Daniel Borgstrom. Chair allowed D. Siegel to respond to comments as matter of personal privilege.

4.         Approve agenda
Approved unanimously. Report from interim general manager approved for time certain between 1:30 and 2:00.

5.         Approve minutes
Moved to approve Feb. 12 meeting minutes. Y 13: Burnstein, Drake, Goldmacher, C. Hallinan, M. Hallinan, Kurzweil, Prives, Russell, Sawyer, Siegel, Turner, Wilkinson, Withers. N 1: Rosenberg. A 7: Aghamir, Fest, Johnson, Kim, Norr, Prichett, Tanaka.

6.         Treasurer’s report (B. Whipperman)
Whipperman clarified items reported at February meeting. 1) Surplus of $290k reported in quarterly report did not represented actual revenue. Quarterly budget projected a deficit of $100k. $190k was actually received, so quarterly statement reported the difference between the projection and the actual, or $290k. 2) Cash-in-bank as of 12/31/10 was $332.8k, accounts payable was $27.7k. We appeared to be in good shape, but bills may be paid in surges and it’s hard to develop accurate figures.

Whipperman presented latest budget report (TR1). Includes January, February, and year to date; also incorporates $60k in pledges to restore the Morning Show and the interest from the San Francisco Foundation endowment (Heath fund). SFF will tell us in June the increased value of the assets. Whipperman will investigate revenue and costs of annual crafts fair and will develop historical report of same. Line 146 shows expenses for special events and crafts fair. Discussion about specific lines. Report shows that we’re under budget. Whipperman will look into questions raised and report back.

TR2 report was product of discussion with business manager to clarify budget overview. Top section outlines status of reserves back to FY 07/08. Money market fund spent by 2009; CD spent by 2010. $150k remainder was put into another CD, which has been used as collateral on line-of-credit loan by national office and is therefore not available to KPFA. KPFA is being charged interest on that loan, but our central services fee (19.5%) is reduced accordingly. Interest accrued in Heath fund shown at bottom: $27.5k so far, and Heath fund now valued at $403k. In June, SFF will tell us what’s is available based on 16 quarter averages; probably $10-$13k.

Discussion about line of credit. In 2008, Pacifica intended to mortgage KPFA building to meet cash needs of WBAI but took line of credit instead. $400k was secured by the CD. Line of credit due in 2009. Pacifica used Heath fund to release KPFA’s CD from being held by Pacifica line of credit. $300k was returned to KPFA in 2009 and spent. $100k remained in a smaller line of credit.

Questions about reports should be emailed to the treasurer at treasurer.kpfalsb<at>

7.         General manager’s report (Andrew Phillips)
Andrew Phillips spoke at length to the board and his segment begins at 20:16 of part 2 of the audio archive at

Interim general manager Andrew Phillips introduced himself to the board. Was at WBAI 1979-95, including 4 years as program director. Worked at Australian Broadcasting Corp. as independent radio and documentary film producer. Adjunct professor at NYU film school and Hunter College. Got involved in permaculture. Phillips spoke about general principles he brings to broadcasting and what he hopes to accomplish as interim manager at KPFA. His instruction from Arlene Englehardt is to reestablish the program council. In addition, he would like to pursue emergency preparedness with respect to the station’s role as a community resource.

8.         Committee reports

A.   Pacifica national board (A. Turner)
Met in Texas. Board members are being asked to sign off on conflict of interest forms. LSBs are being asked to look at budgets in detail for cost cutting. Turner and Rosenberg were the voting representatives for KPFA. Committee positions still need to be filled. Rosenberg reported officer election results: Summer Reese (KPFK), chair; Bill Crozier (KPFT), VP; Carole Birden (WBAI) secretary; Tracy Rosenberg (KPFA) treasurer and chair of finance committee. Pacifica has $5.3m in assets, $2.5m in liabilities, $1.4m cash total as of Sept. 30, 2010. WBAI and KPFA sexual harassment suits are settled, third suit in negotiations. Proposed June PNB meeting in Los Angeles; September or October in Berkeley or Washington, DC. Discussion about ways to prevent sexual harassment suits: training, software, education, revised personnel policies.

Additional PNB committee assignments made:

Audit cttee:              A. Fest, M. Wilkinson
Affiliates cttee:         J. Kurzweil

We still need another volunteer for the Technology committee.

B.   Fundraising (C. Johnson)
Committee is looking at endowments and major donors. Following up on events with cultural institutions and looking at fundraisers for major donors to raise money for specific projects. This has problems because all money raised gets rolled into general accounts. We need to find a way to protect the money raised for special projects.

Next fundraising committee meets Mar. 30 at the station, 5:30 pm.

C.   Personnel (C. Hallinan)
Hallinan put out call for meeting but no response; will issue another call.

D.   Outreach (C. Johnson)
Meeting once a month, first Wednesday of every month. All are invited. Next meeting is Wednesday, April 6, 7:00 at 2022 Blake St.

E.   Finance
PNB finance committee meets Mar. 22. 2011-12 budget from LSBs will be due July 31. LSB should start reviewing in June, begin preparing in May.

Motion (A. Turner) to establish a local finance committee to begin this process. Approved without objection. Members: A. Turner, M. Burnstein, T. Rosenberg, A. Fest, B. Whipperman

9.         KFCF (R. Withers)
KPFA has paid KFCF what it owes. Sasha Lilley will do book promotion, Walter Turner has been invited to speak at fundraising banquet. Outreach at local festivals and events. Annual fundraising banquet coming up.

10.        Old business
A.   Resolution #1 on programming policy (A. Tanaka). Tabled at request of Tanaka.

B.   Resolution on budget policy (H. Norr and T. Rosenberg). Authors clarified that fiscal year is October 1 through September 30. Moved, approved without objection.

C.   Resolution on harassment of, or threats to, station staff (R. Phelps). Moved (T. Rosenberg). Failed: 6 Y, 8 N, 3 A.

D.   Resolution on KPFA personnel handbook (T. Rosenberg). Moved (T. Rosenberg). Amended without objection to strike final sentence, replace “instructs” with “recommends that,” and “1996” with “existing.” Approved as amended without objection.

11.        New business
A.   Station communications
Discussion about email messages sent by Media Alliance under KPFA indicia advertising upcoming Morning Mix programs. Messages were sent to 5111 recipients. Board members raised concerns about misuse of proprietary KPFA mailing list; T. Rosenberg defended actions. M. Wilkinson will send letter to station management saying this issue was raised at the LSB and asking them to look into it.

B.   Mediation retreat (S. Futran)
Moved (S. Futran) to form committee of board members to develop the mediation retreat for the board. Approved without objection.

Committee members: S. Goldmacher, C. Johnson, L. Sawyer, S. Futran

Meeting adjourned at 4:03pm.

Respectfully submitted,
Craig Alderson
LSB Secretary