We do not accept unsolicited resumes. They will not be reviewed or kept on file. We review all resumes for positions in which we are seeking candidates and keep them on file for at least one year.
KPFA is the world’s first listener-supported radio station, and the flagship of the Pacifica Network. Our radio signals cover one-third the state of California, broadcasting a mix of music, news, public affairs, and cultural programs — most of it locally-produced by a large community of staff and volunteers.
UpFront is a mostly-live morning public affairs show that delivers a mix of local, state, and international coverage through engaging interviews, civil debates, breaking updates, and in-depth discussions with authors. We broadcast Monday to Friday from 7 to 8 am on 94.1 FM and at kpfa.org. This producer will have primary responsibility for setting up most days’ shows, with help from the show’s host and interns.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Identify topics for interview segments and potential interviewees, with an emphasis on new voices and perspectives
- Participate in daily editorial meetings
- Pre-interview, book, and confirm technical details for program guests
- Compose run sheets for each day’s program
- Post show descriptions in WordPress CMS and social media accounts
- Research and prepare for interviews, including preparing scripts/intros, questions, and transitions (the show’s host will do most prep on their own)
- Edit recorded interviews for length and clarity
- Train and supervise interns
- Help produce fund drive specials
- Occasional field recording and/or reporting
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- News Judgment: familiarity with current events, ability to identify topics worth covering and how best to approach them. We are particularly interested in candidates who will expand our breadth of coverage by bringing their own background knowledge and community contacts to editorial discussions.
- Writing and communication skills: ability to communicate quickly and clearly with guests, engineers, hosts and interns while working remotely
- Research: ability to quickly assemble background information on interview topics and check facts.
- Preparation: ability to write clean segment introductions, prepare interview questions, anticipate responses, and prepare follow-ups.
- Audio Editing: ability to edit recorded interviews quickly and seamlessly to hit target lengths. Basic multi-track mixing (i.e., creating music beds for carts and billboards)
- Social Media: experience using social platforms to increase reach and audience engagement.
- Grace under pressure: this mostly-live program is produced under deadline pressure. We expect mistakes and breakdowns, and try to learn from them. We also expect members of our team to keep a cool head and kind demeanor when they happen.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills, and the ability to think creatively and proactively solve problems
- Teaching / mentoring: KPFA is committed to the ongoing training and development of its staff and volunteers. As you get more skills and experience from working here, you’ll be expected to help others learn, too.
This 40 hour/week non-exempt position is unionized with the Communications Workers of America Local 9415. Current wage is $26.12/hour with annual seniority increases. Generous benefits to commence after a 90-day probation period, including 100% company paid full-family medical and dental, up to 4% employer match 403(b) retirement, 2% employer only contribution 403(b) pension, seniority-based vacation pay starting at three weeks in the first year. Paid parental leave and childcare allowance.
This position is currently remote, because of the COVID pandemic. If we return to hybrid or in-person work, it will be at KPFA’s studios in Downtown Berkeley.
HOURS and SCHEDULE:
- Work hours are somewhat flexible, but most work for this position happens between 9 and 5 on weekdays.
- Occasionally, complex live broadcasts may require support from the producer starting as early as 6:45am.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates should submit a cover letter, resumé, and two samples of audio work. Please email applications to [email protected]
The deadline to apply is EOD on Monday, November 14th, 2022.
KPFA is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.