We do not accept unsolicited resumes. They will not be reviewed or kept on file. We review all resumes for positions in which we are seeking candidates and keep them on file for at least one year.
Job Opening: Affiliate Network Operations Coordinator
The Pacifica Foundation–a 501(c)(3) and the country’s oldest public radio network, comprising 7 business units–is seeking an operations coordinator for the Pacifica Affiliate Network office. We are particularly interested in candidates who experience in non profit management and have a good knowledge of community radio and have good communications skills. See the full Affiliate Network Operations Coordinator job description.
The Pacifica Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, differently-abled people, and members of other under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com, or by mail to Ursula Ruedenberg at 410 Douglas Ave. Ames, Iowa 50010. The deadline is December 31, 2014.
JOB DESCRIPTION: LOCAL ELECTION SUPERVISOR
(5 positions available in Berkeley, LA, Houston, D.C., and NYC)
Duration: July 1st – November 15th
Hours: some daytime, weekend, and evening hours necessary. Overall average will be part-time, though during crunch times before certain deadlines, work will be full-time.
Compensation: $6,000 – $8,000 depending on experience and possible election extension paid in bi-monthly installments.
Primary Responsibilities: Each LES will report directly to the National Election Supervisor (NES). Together they are responsible for the election being conducted in the fairest possible manner. The NES will train each LES and provide templates and guidelines to be used throughout the process. Please note that while there is a strict election timeline, each LES will need to be flexible and creative with respect to each task. The position has several distinct phases with various responsibilities.
Phase I: Nomination Period
- Raise general awareness about the election on-air, in the local station community and online.
- Inform both listener and staff members about how to become a candidate and the deadline to renew their membership to be eligible to vote and/or run as a candidate.
- Verify the eligibility of candidates, validate their submitted materials and the required petition signatures and finalize the list of eligible candidates.
Phase II: Campaign Period
- Continue the promotion of the election process.
- Assist the NES with auditing and correcting the list of eligible staff and listener voters.
- Coordinate the recording of candidate on-air statements and ensure they are aired both regularly and fairly by radio station staff.
- Organize and moderate on-air and in-person candidate forums and community meetings to give voters opportunities to meet and here from the candidates.
- Enforce Pacifica’s Fair Campaign Policy, investigate allegations of violations, issue warnings, or more severe penalties up to and including revoking a candidate’s eligibility.
Phase III: Voting Period
- Continue the promotion of the election and encourage staff and listener members to vote.
- Continue coordination of on-air and in-person candidate forums and the enforcement of Pacifica’s Fair Campaign Policy.
- Process missing ballot requests, verify voter eligibility.
- Recruit and train volunteers for the ballot count.
Phase IV: Ballot Count & Wrap Up
- Verify quorum has been reached with returned and online ballots.
- Facilitate the counting of returned ballots.
- Certify the local station election results.
- Submit a detailed final report to the NES chronicling the 2015 local election process.
*Please note, if quorum of ballots have not been returned by the required date the voting period may be extended for up to four (4) weeks. In this event, a major publicity campaign, both on-air and by phone may be needed to reach quorum and will also extend the ballot count.
Skills & Experience
- College or equivalent professional experience;
- Previous experience in community organizing, grassroots advocacy or electoral campaigns required;
- Well organized and self-motivated with the ability to solve problems creatively and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, campaign work environment;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience preparing and delivering public presentations. You know how to actively listen, clearly convey ideas and direction, and motivate others;
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures; Proven ability to work both independently and in close coordination with a local and remote team
- Proficient in office suite applications, email, and online CRMs with the ability to quickly learn and use various online platforms and databases to complete tasks and submit reports.
- Ability and willingness to be assertive to ensure that election policies are followed by paid and unpaid station staff.
- Patience, perseverance, a sense of humor, and a thick skin.
Additional Beneficial Skills
- Familiarity with “Single Transferable Vote” (STV) or “Choice Voting”
- Spanish-language proficiency, fluency a plus (particularly in the KPFK, Los Angeles station area)
- Media production (particularly audio)
- Booking and event promotion
How to Apply
Click here to submit your application online or send a cover letter, resume/CV and a list of 3 references to the attention of L. Joy Williams, National Election Supervisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org Indicate which station you are applying for and include “Local Election Supervisor + Your Name” in the subject line of your email. Applications must be received by Friday, June 5, 2015.
Pacifica Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities and veterans.
KPFA Pacifica Foundation Radio is an EOE/AA Employer
View our 2007 EEO Report (21kb, pdf).
For internship opportunites at KPFA Radio see our Internship Page.
For additional job listings, please see the websites of the other 4 individual Pacifica stations: