We do not accept unsolicited resumes. They will not be reviewed or kept on file. We review all resumes for positions in which we are seeking candidates and keep them on file for at least one year.
Operations Department Intern
KPFA 94.1 FM
Berkeley, CA 94704
KPFA 94.1 FM is looking for an experienced, self-motivated Operations Department Intern/s and offers a 6 month internship program intended to give students valuable “hands on” experience and exposure to radio production. We are currently accepting interns enrolled through accredited colleges/universities for our January 2019 internship session. Applicants must be enrolled as a student, interested in a long-term exposure to multiple aspects of Media Production. Applicants are willing to work hard, have great organization and time management skills, are attentive to detail and have the ability to multi-task in a moving and deadline driven environment. This is an excellent opportunity for students to learn from working professionals in a 70 year old radio institution.
As an Intern, the primary responsibility is to assist Operations Department Staff with daily station tasks. Daily tasks include line producing for live shows, engineering studio recordings, editing and mixing taped programs, producing Station Promos, monitoring program content to comply with Station and FCC policies and other duties as assigned.
Interns are required to work 1 day shift per week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday 10am-4pm). Fridays from 11am-3pm will be dedicated to radio production classes for the first 3 months and then toward producing content on KPFB, 98.3 FM in Berkeley.
Toward the end of the program, Interns will be tested for certification to be potential fill-in technical producers at KPFA.
- Assist Technical Producers with peripheral equipment for live programs.
- Assist Producers with specialized equipment setup for live programs.
- Assist with regulating the timing of programs for live and taped shows.
- Receive and screen incoming calls during broadcast.
- Notify Chief Operator about any abnormalities noticed during scheduled shift.
- Engineer studio recordings, support staff for content prep and production.
- Edit/mix audio content for playback and prepare evergreen shows.
- File CDs, and maintain the studio area in neat and professional manner.
- Accurately log discrepancies and troubleshoot technical problems.
- Other duties as required by management.
- Maintain a positive and cooperative rapport with staff, management, and clients
- Represent Pacifica Foundation and KPFA 94.1 FM in the highest regard within the community and business environment
- Develop and maintain effective communications with internal and external partners
- Work in compliance with station policies and procedures
Skills & Abilities Required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in document editing applications such as Office and LibreOffice
- Attentive to detail plus great organization and time management skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Strong time management in order to meet multiple daily deadlines
- Self-motivated, positive, and highly organized individual
- Previous experience with data entry and any audio editing software a plus
- High School Diploma
To apply: Contact Operations Manager Antonio Ortiz at [email protected] with cover letter and resume by 12 noon on Friday December 6th. Please use “KPFA Operations Department Intern Applicant” in the subject heading of your email.
Job Type: Internship
Organizational Skills: 1 year
Records Management: 1 year
Administrative Support: 1 year
Education: High school
Location: Berkeley, CA
Required work authorization: United States
KPFA is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
KPFA Pacifica Foundation Radio is an EOE/AA Employer
View our 2007 EEO Report (21kb, pdf).
For internship opportunites at KPFA Radio see our Internship Page.
For additional job listings, please see the websites of the other 4 individual Pacifica stations: