We do not accept unsolicited resumes. They will not be reviewed or kept on file. We review all resumes for positions in which we are seeking candidates and keep them on file for at least one year.
Classification: Union, non-Exempt
Status: Permanent Employment
Schedule: Weekdays (Monday-Friday) at 30+ hrs per week
Compensation: $23.64 / hr.
Location: Berkeley, CA
KPFA is a listener supported FM radio station in Berkeley, CA operating several FM transmitters, translators, and Autonomous System 397715 in the SF Bay Area
We are looking for an enthusiastic Audio and Network Systems Engineer to co-manage and develop our current technical infrastructure as we work to implement new tools and technologies. Along with the Chef Engineer and Transmitter Engineer you will complete the Engineering Team in supporting our shows and station with a reliable technical foundation.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- First responder to technical issues impacting air, staff workflow; escalating issues for remediation to the Chief Engineer if appropriate
- Monitor all LAN, WAN, broadcast radio, and computer network infrastructure for availability and reliability
- Set up email, network, domain, phone, and door access accounts
- Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements
- Troubleshoot issues and outages
- Conduct system installations, including configurations, testing, and maintenance on both software and hardware
- Audio Engineer recordings as needed, providing oversight during live productions
- Ensure normalized program material is delivered to air consistently through regular equipment, documentation, communication, and system evaluations
- Resolve analog and digital audio quality issues in the production and broadcast chain
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Desire to learn, grow, and expand understandings of interconnected technical systems
- Experience as a System Administrator, Network Administrator or similar role, 2yr min.
- Comfortable with Windows, Linux, BSD Environments and related technology toolkits
- Solid understanding of the OSI or TCP/IP model
- Familiarity with audio editing software (SoundForge, Audacity, Audition,Hindenburg)
- Possess excellent listening and communication skills to collaborate with others
- Professional certifications (CCNP, MCSA, SBE Certified Audio Engineer) are a plus
- Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (php,js,perl,python,bash) are a plus
- Experience in a broadcast facility or audio production is a plus
- Ability to lift rack mounted equipment and adjust cables in tight spaces
- Required work authorization: United States
To apply: Contact Cheif Engineer Brian David at [email protected] with cover letter and resume by 12 noon on Friday December 1th. Please use “KPFA Systems Engineer Applicant” in the subject heading of your email.
The Pacifica Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.
KPFA Mission – To promote cultural diversity and pluralistic community expression. To contribute to a lasting understanding between individuals of all nations, races, creeds and colors. To promote freedom of the press and serve as a forum for various viewpoints. To maintain an independent funding base.
KPFA/ Pacifica Foundation Radio is an EOE/AA Employer
View our 2007 EEO Report (21kb, pdf).
For internship opportunities at KPFA Radio see our Internship Page.
For additional job listings, please see the websites of the other 4 individual Pacifica stations: